"The seeing-eye, the beating wing, the bird that laughs at everything.
Misunderstood by everyone, who can not see all things as one".

Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Learn To Fly.














I began starting every new day by stretching my wings, which were getting stronger with every flight. Until recently, I had only been able to flutter downhill, and crash. But soon, I was landing better, and yesterday, I found out how to keep up, and even circle once, before landing on the deck. It felt so good that the pain in my chest wasn't enough to stop me.
I kept looking up into the sky, and thinking: "Soon I will be able to be in it!"
But I had to learn how to gain height, not just fly level and land.
"Come on," said the cat. "Come with me. I know a good place to practice."
She trotted off to the front garden, with me hopping behind, flapping as I went.
The cat climbed up onto the fence and looked down at me.
"Come on," she said. "Come up here. You can do it!"
I flapped and jumped, hovering unsteadily, before tumbling back to the ground.
The cat waited expectantly.
I hopped back a bit and tried again...
Flap Flap Flap! I climbed a few feet, then with a rush, soared over the fence and fell down behind it.
"Well done!" cried the cat. "One more try! I know you can do it!"
I jumped and flapped, flapped and flapped...
And scrabbled down to a landing on top of the fence.
I had never felt so good.
"Did you see that?" I squawked.
"See?" said the cat: "I told you about fun didn't I?"
And we sat there for the rest of the afternoon, with me feeling proud of myself, and the cat keeping guard against the owl.



1 comment:

  1. It just goes to show that true friends come in all shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete