"The seeing-eye, the beating wing, the bird that laughs at everything.
Misunderstood by everyone, who can not see all things as one".

Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Dream Of Flying.


















In the days that followed, I spent a lot of time in the garden, practicing having fun, while the cat stood guard. The sun shone down and the sky was blue. I looked up into the sky and wondered what it would be like to be up there in it.
All night, I would dream about the blue sky, and all day I would look up at it. I looked at the sky for so long that my eyes became the same colour as the sky.
The man saw me looking at the sky and said I should be trying to learn to fly.
I didn't know what he meant by that, and he seemed to realize. So he took me up the little hill in the garden, and held me up, bouncing me up and down, gently, as I flapped my little wing-things to keep my balance.
The cat came along and watched as we did this over and over again, day after day.
After a few days, the man started dropping his hands away almost faster than I could fall, and I flapped and flapped to keep my balance, as he caught me before I fell over.
On and on it went, as an excitement grew inside me. Over and over. Wings beating faster and faster, stronger and stronger...
The cat watched in amazement as the man suddenly let me go, and I fluttered down to the grass and rolled over like a ball. The excitement!
Again. And again.
Soon I was falling further away from the man, and travelling further down the hill before I landed and rolled around in a heap.
And before long I could manage to get all the way back to the house before I landed...
"That looks like more fun than I ever had," said the cat, as it ran up to me. "Is your chest all right?"
I suddenly remembered the hole, and as I did, it hurt! I thought maybe I should stop for a while. I sat down on the grass and didn't move.
The man came up and lifted me from the grass.
Then he looked up into a tree and the cat did the same.
"Danger!" said the Cat. "That is dangerous!"
The man pointed to a big bird and looked at me, making noises. The cat bristled and ran inside.
I was looking at my first owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment