"The seeing-eye, the beating wing, the bird that laughs at everything.
Misunderstood by everyone, who can not see all things as one".

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Grow A Tail.

















We soon settled down into our new home, and found we liked it much more than the one we had left behind. I noticed the crow that lived in the pond was growing a tail, and for a while, wondered what it was for. I asked the lady about this, and she said she thought it was so a crow could stop crashing into things when it was flying, and be better able to steer.
I flew around a bit, to see, and found out she was right. I didn't crash any more.
My tail was as big as the crow in the pond's tail. But that made it harder to groom.
I had to really stretch to reach the end of it with my beak.
The lady often helped me pick and comb my feathers where I could not reach, but I enjoyed the stretching, too, and found that it helped me to fly, as it made me stronger and stronger.
My tail just got bigger and bigger!
I would talk to the lady whenever she sat outside with me.
I would hop around the woods with her, whenever she went for a walk.
I often sat inside the wheelbarrow when she pushed it around the garden, and when she dug stones out of the earth, I would put them all back again.
The cat would go exploring by itself, sometimes, finding deer-mice and shrews, beetles and snakes. Once she brought a mouse home, frightening it badly. The lady had to look after it for a few days, until it felt calm enough to go back into the forest...

No comments:

Post a Comment